What it does
contains a medicine called Trilostane which reduces the production of cortisol by the adrenal glands. Usually, within the first two weeks of treatment the clinical signs of Cushing’s such as lethargy, increased drinking, eating and urination will improve. It takes a bit longer for the pot belly, hair loss and skin changes to correct - between 3-6 months.
Cushing’s syndrome is more often seen in older dogs, and in smaller breeds of dog. Because some of the signs of Cushing’s are very similar to those associated with normal ageing processes diagnosis can be challenging.
The most noticeable signs of Cushing’s syndrome include:
- excessive urination with possible incontinence - increased water intake - ravenous appetite - pot-belly
- excessive panting, even at rest
- muscle wastage and weakness
- hairless, thin skin and recurrent skin infections - frequent urinary tract infections
Most dogs with Cushing’s (approximately 85% of cases)have a benign tumour of the pituitary gland.The tumour cells produce large amounts of the hormone ACTH,which in turn stimulates the adrenal glands to over produce cortisol. The other cause of Cushing’s (approximately 15% of cases) is a tumour of one (or very rarely both) of the adrenal glands, which produces excessive amounts of cortisol. Left untreated Cushing’s syndrome will likely cause other health complications affecting the quality of life of your dog.
How to Administer
to your dog with breakfast in the morning for easy absorption. After ten days it will be time to return to the vet with your dog for monitoring. The vet will adjust the dose of Vetoryl®
to meet your dog’s specific needs. Note: a vet visit every three months will then be required for regular monitoring.
is generally well-tolerated by most dogs side effects could include vomiting, diarrhoea and anorexia, and lethargy. If this happens stop treatment and return to the vet as soon as possible.
Available in four strengths 10mg, 30mg, 60mg and 120mg capsules.
Watch a series of short videos from Professor Stijn Niessen on the importance of looking at the clinical picture and measuring quality-of-life.